Monday, December 28, 2009

Post-Chirstmas-Pre-New-Year's Gaming.


I've been playing video games a lot lately, I won't lie. If you're following my Twitter account, you'll know that the PS3's taken a lot of my time as of late. I've beaten Arkham Asylum, Infamous, and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. I've played a bit of Dragon Age Origins, Assassin's Creed, and Fallout 3, but none of those have clicked for me. Currently I'm playing Borderlands and have grown a little obsessed with it.

I started thinking about what system/game I want to run next, and formulated a plan. I made a list of all the systems I'd be willing to run a game in and discuss it with my players beforehand to come to a democratic solution! For some reason this has never occurred to me before, but here we go! Here's what I came up with:

World of Darkness - Mortals
Hunter: The Vigil
Geist: The Sin-Eaters
Mouse Guard
All Flesh Must Be Eaten
Wild Talents
Warhammer Fantasy RPG 3rd Edition
Savage Worlds
Dread
3:16 - Carnage Amongst the Stars

I haven't ran all these games before (I haven't even finished reading the rules on some), but they're all systems either I like or would like to give a shot. Savage Worlds in particular I've been brainstorming on making a Borderlands setting for. Like I said - kind of obsessed. I was hoping to have a discussion today, but one of our regulars couldn't make our session, so I postponed it.

Instead we played Neuroshima Hex! Turns out The Bro's been holding this for a while, debating on trading/selling it away. Something got in him today to read the rules before the group got together, we played four players and immediately played a second game. It's a real nice mix of strategy and lite-ness that makes a nice intermediary product from heavy games like Chaos in the Old World and light games like Incan Gold. It plays quick and like a puzzle game, but with a lot of theme and nice varied strategies. It was a winner and something that I look forward to playing more (also it doesn't use dice, which is awesome!)

In other news the thing to be pulling me out of my video game psychosis at least a little bit is our first session tonight for planning our Genius: The Transgression game. Our regular D&D GM is planning this one, which, surprising to me, has really been refreshing for me. I get to create a character concept, not have to explain any rules (but can obviously help explain and interpret since I understand the nWoD system). Since thinking about my character more, I might be able to work out my Borderlands gaming obsession by basing my Genius character on Roland, the Soldier class character which also happens to be the character I'm playing currently.

Should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Noble Knight Games

Wanna support The Hopeless Gamer? Shop at Noble Knight Games via the banner below!


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...