Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Gaming Thanksgiving Post Two

First I'd like to thank a couple of websites out there, in chronological order. First up is RPG.net for being a great place to foster a role playing hobby. The forums there are some of the most focused and creative you could find on the web. I've been introduced to more games there in the general discussion than any other place. I discovered such games as 3:16: Carnage Amongst the Stars, Empire of Dust, and Mouse Guard (all things I would say make me very thankful as well!).

Next up is Tabletop Gaming News. Back in August when The Hopeless Gamer was first starting out, they gave up a big bump when they linked our live coverage of Gencon. I'm thankful for the site in general as it helps me keep track of the mini's world, even if that's not my main interest nowadays.

Finally the biggest thank you goes to Eye of the Vortex Online. Just the beginning of October was when they first contacted me to ask to write about White Wolf and their World of Darkness games. The guys there have really embraced me and opened up new opportunities. For one, I get some much-needed writing experience. I've also already made some contacts in the gaming world I wouldn't have without the EoV staff, for which I continue to be thankful for.

This year I'm especially thankful for White Wolf and the World of Darkness. Geist was released this year at Gencon and I love it. Still haven't had a chance to play, but the finished products is one of my favorites in my collection. The game is just original and the book even more so.

I want to say I'm thankful for FNG and the group. We've tried a lot of different games this year, some successful and others not so much. Regardless, they're always up for something new whether I pitch them new games they've never heard of or something we've been all discussing for a long time. I'm thankful to the guys who are willing to GM games as sharing the burden/joys of GM'ing amongst the group helps to really tear down on GM-fatigue. I think practically everyone's given a shot at GM'ing this year, and maybe we can get it 100% in this coming year (looking at you Bryan :P).

I'm thankful for Fantasy Flight Games and Privateer Press. Where White Wolf is pioneering new innovations on the digital front, both of these game companies are doing their best to innovate in the tangible world. While not a completely new idea, Privateer made the big move to using plastics this year, and the benefits seem to coming forth with box sets wher eyou get the full unit for the same price. If you've been paying attention, I'm a little obsessed with the new Warhammer RPG. It's a huge move, and I'm thankful for FFG taking the big leap and a chance to make this style of boxset a success.

Finally I'm thankful for The Hopeless Gamer and readers like you :D. I feel like, in the short time we've been in existance, there's a lot to be proud of. We've acheived a lot, but we have so much more we'd like to see happen.

I know I'm leaving a lot out, so please forgive me. This year has been very exciting for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Noble Knight Games

Wanna support The Hopeless Gamer? Shop at Noble Knight Games via the banner below!


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...