Monday, August 13, 2012

What am I gonna play at Gencon?

In my last post I talked a little bit about what I'd like to be able to purchase at Gencon. For the quick follow-up post, I'm gonna dive a bit into what I'm hoping to play at this year's con. I always have the best intentions of playing a bunch of games at Gencon. The plans don't always come together, and usually I have to go back and get reimbursed for my tickets for a game I can't attend. Let this be a note to you that if you want to get in a game but missed registration, get there early and you might just be able to jump in when me or someone like me can't make it!

This year's going to be different, no really, seriously! That's the goal at least. Since moving two hours away from my gaming group, I've really been looking forward to getting some good gaming in for a couple of days in a row. The fact that I've been away from the blog for a while is not a coincidence with the fact that I haven't been doing any real gaming. It's 50% that and 50% trying to do some writing for my own sake that I hope to some day share with the world, but that's for another day.

I have high hopes both for events I'm signed up for and events I hope to crash. First, and most importantly on my list, is lots of Call of Cthulhu. There's nothing better for a one-shot convention game than Call of Cthulhu. Dread comes close, because Dread is awesome, but I get nervous around having to play a Jenga tower (hence whey I love GM'ing Dread), and it's hard as hell to actually get into a game of it since so few people run the game. Anyway, Cthulhu is one of the all-time best role-playing worlds. I know I don't have to tell you that, but some power beyond me compelled me to do so. You gotta listen to those powers beyond you, right? Right.

The other thing that's got me really stoked is the chance to play in another game of The One Ring. I got to play Words of the Wise, the first adventure Cubicle 7 released for the game special just for Gencon (and later a pdf that's since been removed mysteriously - probably from one of those powers from beyond, they're so tricksy!). It was a blast, and reminded me of why I love exploring Middle Earth. Should be good times this year as well. Hey, if I only get to play the game once a year, I can't really complain. It's more than I get to play most games I own, have read, and dearly love.

What's got me really stoked? Indie games on demand of course! There's just so many games I want to play! Broken down into two-hour slots. I know that sadly, even with three and a half days of gaming, I won't have enough time to get to all the games. I'd love to make each one of them a priority, but it's just not going to happen since I know there's literally hundreds of games and things to do vying for me attention. Still, I'd love to play a game of Swords Without Masters (a conan-style game from the designer of Dread!), Jaws of the Six Serpents (my current gaming obsession and hopefully first real foray into design my own game soon with the PDQ engine that runs it), Mouse Guard, Dungeon World (a game I was more than happy to Kickstart), and more. Seriously, it's an indie gamer's haven, and I want to very badly expose myself to some real gaming experiences in some of the games that stimulate my gaming mind the most.

So, what are you excited to play this Gencon? Is it an old favorite? Is it something you've never played before but always have wanted to give a shot? Is it a game the rest of your normal group just hates and hates you a little bit for liking it so much? Whatever it is, hope you get to your game on time and that it's everything you've ever hoped for! See you at the con!

1 comment:

  1. I've always stayed away from horror games like CoC when it comes to cons, worrying that the atmosphere might not be what I want from a scary game.

    http://shortymonster.wordpress.com/2012/08/13/some-advice-on-running-a-horror-rpg/

    ReplyDelete

Noble Knight Games

Wanna support The Hopeless Gamer? Shop at Noble Knight Games via the banner below!


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...