Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Chaosium and Red Wasp Design announce Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land

I am very excited to have received something in my mailbox this week that I don't get a whole lot of: a press release about a game for my phone! I'm not going to bury the lead here, Chaosium's gotten into the portable device gaming scene, and it couldn't sound cooler.

All we really have at this point is the nice graphic to the right here that drips with atmosphere and forboding gaming fun. Other than that, we got a nice little blurb about what we may expect for this first foray in the mobile mythos:

"An agreement between Call of Cthulhu impresarios, Chaosium and new development studio Red Wasp Design will see the award winning role-playing game (RPG), Call of Cthulhu, coming to a mobile platform near you.  The first title, 'Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land' is set in the midst of World War One and pits a team of investigators and soldiers against an ancient enemy, older than humanity itself.  This eldritch enemy is using the carnage of the great war to build an undead army amidst the battlefields of Europe. The game will be a 3D turn-based strategy/role playing game and will initially launch on iPhone and Android with more platforms to follow.  As the game is still in development, release dates and price points are to be announced after the summer."

There's really no better setting for Cthulhu than World War One, and if the poster is any indication of the art direction, I don't think I'll have a better opportunity to actually be afraid of my phone than when I'm playing this game. I think the most interesting part of the announcement is the format of the game. "3D" implies that we'll be getting a relatively graphics-intense game, but it's the "turn-based strategy/role playing game" part that really has me excited. To be honest, I'm not even sure how something like that would play, but I'm excited to see what we're going to actually be playing as - a lone hero or a squad of doomed doughboys? We'll be following The Wasted Land's development closely, so make sure to check back to see what other horrific news we have to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Noble Knight Games

Wanna support The Hopeless Gamer? Shop at Noble Knight Games via the banner below!


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...