Thursday, November 25, 2010

I'm Thankful for Old School Gaming

Everyone has to do one of these things, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Clearly I'm thankful for a lot of real things in my life, but since this is The Hopeless Gamer, I thought I would focus on some gaming things to be thankful for.

I was trying to think of what specifically has me excited right now. There are a lot of newer, less traditional games that have my attention, specifically Time and Temp and De Profundis. Both of these games are really exciting and do things I haven't seen before in role-playing. They each transform the media just a little bit, and I'm very thankful these creative game designers have stepped forward and found an audience enough to print their products.

While I'm excited to continue to read these new games and work them into our rotation of friday night games, right now old school games have really grabbed my attention. From Dragon Warriors to Swords & Wizardry to the heavily-influenced by old school games Dragon Age, it's like a new world has opened up for us. Granted, all our games are just in the planning stages right now, but considering we've never played any of these, I'm really looking forward to the slightly-less tactical gameplay these games can offer. We love D&D 4th Edition, but sometimes we need a break from all the power cards and six page character sheets. Make sure to check out our future old-schooling posts as we continue to explore the oldest genre of tabletop gaming for the first time. Look forward to lots of reviews as well.

Also, I'm thankful for my readers and followers! Thanks everyone, and have a good holiday!

2 comments:

  1. Hey there,

    Awesome shout out for old school gaming. :)

    My real point in this comment, however, is to ask if you ever got around to posting about Empire of Dust? I just read through the book (again) over the last week at work and was marveling at how nifty the game is... and now I'm hungry for the thoughts of others!!! O_O

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not yet written a review for Empire of Dust, but I agree the game is really neat and original. I hope to get a review of the box set up sometime soon (no guarantees on dates though - sorry!).

    ReplyDelete

Noble Knight Games

Wanna support The Hopeless Gamer? Shop at Noble Knight Games via the banner below!


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...