Friday, February 12, 2010

Who Clix the Clixmen...er, Watchmen?


So, kinda big news today over at the new version of Wizkids Games. Looks like we'll be seeing an exclusive set of Watchmen Heroclix this summer. From the description there'll be 25 new Watchmen-related 'Clix in the boxset along with a 14 inch bald-headed Dr. Manhattan (no way there isn't some inappropriate joke to be had there). As release patterns go, this is definitely a good move on NECA/Wizkids' parts. No randomness means much, much bigger buy base, and the idea of a premium display packaging style means collectors could easily buy two of these things - one to play and one to display. I was trying to think of which 25 figures would be included and got this far: Ozymandias, Dr. Manhattan, Rorschach, Nite Owl II, Silk Spectre II, the Comedian, Moloch, Nite Owl I, Silk Spectre I, Dr. Manhattan in suit, um, the guy with the noose on his neck from the 50's, the weird dominatrix girl from the 50's, the guy who got his cape stuck in the revolving doors from the 50's (can you tell it's been a while since I've actually read the book?), um... Bubastis?

I've been a long-time fan of both Alan Moore and Watchmen, which is to say that I like comic books. I respect Moore quite a bit for being probably the most prolific writer since Stan Lee that has had the greatest impact on the direction of comics. Tom Strong, for example, is one of my favorite comics out there. I can remember being younger (uh-oh, second post in a row where I walk down memory lane, watch out!) and feeling the same kind of righteous indignation as a lot of people feel right now about the very idea of "commercializing" Watchmen. Alan Moore is on record with his strong views against the popularizing of his work from movies to toys to t-shirts, he hates him all!

Like I said, I respect his point of view and respect the hell out of him for not wanting to sit back and rake in the money a Rorschach plushie would bring in, for example. Still, I can't help feel nowadays that it doesn't really matter. People want the stuff, Moore won't profit from it voluntarily so no artistic merit will be squashed, and someone, somewhere will make money for putting work into a beloved property that they probably spent a great deal of their life praying to the science god Dr. Manhattan that they would be so lucky as to sculpt 1-inch-tall Comedians and write an appropriate damage dial for.

I'm really really starting to get excited for the new Heroclix line, which is stupid, because I'm past my stage in my life where collectible games make any sense to me, but darn it the Blackest Night starter looks to be shaping up to be a doozy of a set. I like what I've seen so far of the Watchmen clix, but it's really going to depend on the price if I decide to pick it up or not. I could easily see a retail of $50.00 because I think there's a market for that price point. No idea how much the Doc Manhattan's gonna be, but you know it's going to be expensive. I have no doubt they'll sell well, and who knows, maybe we'll see a separate figure of the airship Archie or other cool releases.

Thanks to Tabletop Gaming News for the vigilant coverage of Wizkids and Heroclix news! Image for this post borrowed from the Wizkids announcement linked above, but for good measure, here's the link again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Noble Knight Games

Wanna support The Hopeless Gamer? Shop at Noble Knight Games via the banner below!


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...