Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Road would make a terrible RPG.



I just wanted to get that out there. I've been reading it this past week here and there, and while it's pretty great, and I get it, it just would make for the most dreadful RPG ever. I just can't imagine a work of fiction worse to make player characters for and adventure in the world of. It got me thinking, what other great pieces of compelling fiction is out there that would be pretty much unplayable in an RPG? I guess Schindler's List and any of the movies based on 9/11? So far we've got a theme going, but mostly it's just thinking about taboo game topics or settings and why they wouldn't work. I think The Road isn't so much a taboo setting or topic. How many post-apocalyptic settings and games are there out there? Clearly with The Road we're not talking about taboo topics even in the case of a serious nuclear winter scenario. I don't really know where I'm going with this, but it's an interesting topic maybe better off discussed at RPG.net or something.

Anyway, in other news, I spent a good amount of time today working on my first article in my six-part series that'll be over at Eye of the Vortex exploring each of the factions in Warhammer: Invasion. The first article looks at general strategies and the card pool available to the Dwarves, and it wasa lot of fun actually talking strategy and deck building ideas. Look for it soon (and don't worry, I'll post a link when it's posted!). I've also been playing around with an idea for my very own Savage Worlds setting. There seem to be plenty of fantasy settings published for the rule system, but not a whole bunch of sci-fi. I appreciate the systems for what they are (Slipstream for Space Opera and Necropolis for a Warhammer 40K feel), but feel that there's a lot of room to spread out. Once we actually get some play time in and I explore the Day After Ragnarok setting, I may start testing some of my own ideas out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Noble Knight Games

Wanna support The Hopeless Gamer? Shop at Noble Knight Games via the banner below!


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...